Instant messaging (IM) is a type of online chat which offers real-time text transmission over the Internet whereas Social Apps, also known as social software, include communication tools and interactive tools often based on the Internet. Communication tools typically handle the capturing, storing and presentation of communication, usually written but increasingly including audio and video as well.
Interactive tools handle mediated interactions between a pair or group of users. They focus on establishing and maintaining a connection among users, facilitating the mechanics of conversation and talk.
Some Apps are as follows:-
1. WhatsApp: WhatsApp Messenger is a proprietary, cross-platform instant messaging application for smartphones. In addition to text messaging, users can send each other images, video, and audio media messages.
Available for:- iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, Nokia S40, Symbian, Windows Phone.
2. WeChat: WeChat is available across varied mobile platforms. The app offers features like Live Chat, Group chat,
Video calling and push-to-talk. This app also comes with a ‘Shake’ feature to help you find new friends. To use this feature, all you have to do is shake your phone and the app will help you connect with other people, who are shaking their mobile at that time.
3. Google Hangouts: Google offers a free video chat service Google+ Hangouts. It lets you make free video calls that can be one-on-one or and group chats (maximum of ten people at a time). This app is available for all Android smartphones running Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) or higher. In the case of iOS, the devices should be running on iOS 6 or later.
Available for:- iOS, Android, Web
4. Skype: Skype was perhaps the pioneer in this space and continues to be used by a large number of people. The app lets you do text, voice and video chats. It also enables users to do group calls and call landlines and mobile phones at a cost.
Available for:- iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry 10, Windows, Mac
5. Viber: With the help of Viber, users can make free calls, send free texts and share location and setting. For using Viber,
you don’t need to create a separate username, as your mobile number doubles up as your ID. After you have installed the Viber app, it syncs your mobile contact list, automatically detecting which contacts area already using Viber, similar to WhatsApp.
Available for: Android, iOS, Blackberry, Windows Phone, Mac, Nokia, Bada, Windows
6. Nimbuzz:- Nimbuzz lets you send free messages and call other Nimbuzz users. This app has started offering ‘NimbuzzOut’ service, which is a low-cost Pay-As-You-Go option to make calls to other mobiles and landlines numbers across the World. Nimbuzz supports interaction with popular messaging services such as Twitter, Facebook Chat, Yahoo! Messenger and Google Talk.
Available for:- Android, iOS, Blackberry, Windows Phone, Nokia, Java, Windows, Mac
7. Fring:- Fring is also a free application that enables you to make free calls. The group calling feature helps you to talk simultaneously with up to 4 participants. Just like Skype, Fring can also be used to make calls to regular phones around the world at an additional cost.
Available for: iOS, Android, Nokia
8. Hike:- Hike is a desi app that offers a feature-set very similar to WhatsApp, though it offers additional features like sending SMS to non-Hike users, walkie-talkie mode and more.
Available for: iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Nokia, Windows Phone
9. Line:- Line is another popular app that offers features similar to those in the list, including voice chat, stickers, and more.
Available for: iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Nokia Asha, Mac, Windows, Windows 8
10. Tango: Tango is another nifty application that lets you make free calls. This app also comes with a “Push-to-Talk” feature, which helps in turning your smartphone into a walkie-talkie.
Available for: iOS, Android, Windows Phone 7, Windows
11. Facebook Browser and Facebook Messenger: Facebook Browser and Facebook Messenger are dedicated facebook apps. facebook browser used to browse Facebook on phones and by facebook messenger, you can send messages directly to your friends on their mobile phones, so you stay in touch no matter where you go.
12. IM+: IM+ is an instant messaging application it is very useful for Windows Phone users IM+ supports interaction with popular messaging services such as Twitter, Facebook Chat, Yahoo! Messenger and Google Talk. In Windows Phone there isn’t any official application for google account even Nimbuzz works only if the application is open and it will not give any notification and pop-up message until you open the application but IM+ provide notification and pop-ups so this is useful if you want to be online on your Gmail accounts.
Available for: iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Windows 8
13. Way2SMS: Way2SMS is an application by which you can send SMS to anybody all over India ., this is one of the most useful apps for WindowsPhone users. There are some other applications which provide such facility but way2sms is easy to use and User Interface is better than all other. All you need is working GPRS connection to send SMS
Available:- Windows Phone, Windows 8, Web.
14. Free SMS India: Free SMS India is Android application by which you can send SMS to anybody all over India. User Interface of Free SMS India is very sleek and simple, even a kiddy can operate the app.
All you need is working GPRS connection to send SMS. The application is optimized to decrease data usage and your SMS is sent in few Kb of data.
In the latest version of Free SMS India, following gateways/services are enabled:
Note:- All above-mentioned apps are not in any particular manner.