Back in November 2018, Samsung had released a teaser about the foldable mobile phone, but now it is official and it also has a name; the first foldable Samsung smartphone will be known as the Samsung Galaxy Fold. The Galaxy Fold can switch between phone and tablet form factors thanks to the bendable infinity flex display.
The content on the outer screen seamlessly flows into the larger screen as you unfold it. The company’s new unique feature called App Continuity is there to maintain the UI flow from one screen to another or from phone mode to tab mode.
Samsung Galaxy Fold is also the only phone in the market to support three-app multi-tasking, which means you can use three apps simultaneously on its 7.3-inch QXGA+ inner screen.
It may appear a thick box-like phone while in folded form but acts as a normal phone; credit goes to a 4.6-inch HD+ Super AMOLED external screen. However, it turns into a beautiful tab as soon as it gets unfolded thanks to the 7.3-inch QXGA+ Dynamic AMOLED Infinity Flex display.
According to Samsung the hinge and Infinity-Flex display of Galaxy Fold is engineered to handle hundreds of thousands of folds and unfolds. It may sound too emphatic but Samsung Fold is going to be the Milestone for next few Years in terms of the Mobile Phone design and technology.
The Galaxy Fold has a 64-bit 7nm 8-core processor, 12GB of RAM and 512GB of storage, let’s take a look at the other key specs of the phone.
Key Specifications of Samsung Galaxy Fold:
- 4.6-inch HD+ Super AMOLED cover display, 21:9 aspect ratio
- 7.3-inch QXGA+ Dynamic AMOLED main display, 4.2:3 aspect ratio
- Snapdragon 855 (7 nm) Octa-core SoC (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 485 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 485 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 485)
- GPU: Adreno 640
- 12 GB RAM
- 512 GB internal storage
- Primary Camera: Triple Camera, 12 MP, f1.5/f2.4 apertures, 26mm (wide), Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS + 12 MP, f/2.4 aperture, 52mm (telephoto), AF, OIS, 2x optical zoom + 16 MP, f/2.2 aperture, 12mm (ultrawide)
- Unfolded Selfie Camera: Dual Camera, 10 MP, f/2.2 aperture, PDAF + 8 MP, f/1.9 aperture, depth sensor
- Folded Selfie Camera: 10 MP, f/2.2 aperture
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, Hotspot, GPS, USB 3.1, Type-C 1.0, NFC
- Colours: Cosmo Black, Space Silver, Martian Green and Astro Blue
- 4380 mAh Non-removable Li-Po battery
- Runs OneUI based on Android 9 Pie
What is the Price of Samsung Galaxy Fold? Availability and Where to Buy:
The price of Samsung Galaxy Fold is super premium as expected, it’s not a phone that everyone can buy. The Galaxy Fold is priced at $1980, approx Rs 1,40,000 in Indian currency and it’s one of the most expensive phones yet it is going for mass production.
The Samsung folding or foldable mobile phone will reach the selected market on April 26th, the company has not yet specified the market where they will release the Galaxy Fold. Galaxy Fold is expected to be available with all major online and offline retailers including the Samsung’s official experience centres and showrooms.