Email is one of the most important parts of website/blog, usually, it comes configured by default on shared hosting but if you are using VPS or any kind of server you need to install and configure mail transfer agents. Without installing such tools you will not get any mail from the website hosted on that server.
If you want a quick solution and don’t want to enable/configure full-featured mail server then this tutorial is for you because with the help of sSMTP you will start receiving mail within minutes. To install sSMTP on your server with Google Apps & Gmail account, follow the following steps.
- Open the terminal, and log on to your server.
- Install sSMTP by using command # sudo apt-get install ssmtp
- Accept by entering “Y” to proceed installation.
- Now you need to edit the configuration file. You can edit configuration file either from the terminal or opening file via FTP client.
- You need to edit the file /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf
- From terminal enter # sudo nano /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf
- Click Here to open the configuration file.
- Change the given mail with your Gmail id and password and paste it into your ssmtp.conf file.
- Save the ssmtp.conf file
- Restart your server # service nginx restart or # service apache2 restart