Recently, two beautiful mobile phones have been launched in India, Redmi Note 7 by Xiaomi and RealMe 3 by Oppo’s sub-brand RealMe. Both of these phones are targeting the same market and price segment, that is, 10k-sub. Redmi Note 7 has been launched on 28th February with Snapdragon 660 AIE processor, full HD+ display, 3/4 GB RAM, 32/64 GB storage, Dual rear camera, fingerprint sensor, and 4000mAh battery with quick charge 4 whereas RealMe 3 has been launched on March 5th with MediaTek Helio P70 SoC, fingerprint sensor, 6.22 inch HD+ display, dual rear camera, and 4230 mAh battery.
Realme 3 vs Redmi Note 7: Features, Comparisons, and Which One to Buy?
RealMe 3 is going to have a direct battle with Xiaomi Redmi phones which is a well-established brand with a major market share in the budget segment. Recently Xiaomi has launched the Redmi Note 7 and Redmi Note 7 Pro, both of these mobile phones are really good yet with competitive price tags.
Redmi Note 7 Pro is basically a premium version of Redmi Note 7 and there are some good chances that RealMe will also launch Realme 3 Pro, A premium version of Realme 3 in next few months. Realme 3 Pro is expected to be the successor of RealMe 2 Pro and it could be Realme’s answer to Redmi Note 7 Pro.
Key Features of Redmi Note 7:
- Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM); Dual Standby, Dual 4G VoLTE
- 6.3 inches full HD+ IPS LCD screen, 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 409 PPI pixel density, 81.4% screen-to-body ratio; waterdrop-style notch (aka Dot Notch)
- Corning Gorilla Glass 5 for screen protection
Splash Proof Protected by P2i.
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 (14 nm) SoC, Octa-core (4×2.2 GHz Kryo 260 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 260)
- GPU: Adreno 512
- 3 GB RAM with 32 GB Storage
- 4 GB RAM with 64 GB internal storage
- Memory expandable up to 256 GB using microSD via SIM 2 slot
- Primary Camera: 12 MP primary lens with f/2.2 aperture, 1.25μm pixel size, PDAF + 2 MP, f/2.4 aperture depth sensor; Dual-LED flash.
- Selfie Camera: 13MP f/2.2 camera with AI Portrait mode, AI Beautify, Face recognition, Selfie timer, HDR, AI Studio lighting.
- Rear Mounted fingerprint sensor
- Sensors: Rear Fingerprint Scanner, Ambient Light Sensor, Proximity Sensor, E-compass, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, IR blaster.
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi,5G WiFi, Wi-Fi Direct, Hotspot, GPS, USB 2.0, Type-C 1.0, USB OTG, Infrared, FM radio with recording, 3.5mm jack.
- Colours: Onyx Black, Sapphire Blue, Ruby Red
- Dimension: 6.27 x 2.96 x 0.32 inch
- Weight: 185 gram
- 4000 mAh Li-Po battery with Quick Charge 4;
- Runs MIUI 10 based on Android 9 Pie
Key Features of RealMe 3:
- Dual SIM dual standby, Dual 4G-VoLTE Support
- 2-Nano and 1 MicroSD card slot in a single tray
- 6.22 inch HD+ IPS LCD display with dewdrop notch, 720 x 1520 pixels, 19:9 ratio, 270 PPI pixel density.
- Gorilla Glass 3 for screen protection.
- MediaTek Helio P70 (12nm) SoC, Octa-core (4×2.1 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A53).
- GPU: Mali-G72 MP3.
- 3GB LPDDR4x RAM with 32 GB internal storage.
- 4GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64 GB internal storage.
- Storage expandable up to 256 GB (dedicated card slot).
- Rear mounted fingerprint sensor and Face Unlock.
- Rear Camera: Dual camera; 13 MP with f/1.8 aperture, 1.12μm pixel size, PDAF + 2 MP, depth sensor; LED flash, 1080p@30fps video recording.
- Selfie Camera: 13 MP f/2.0, 1.12µm pixel size.
- Sensors: Fingerprint Sensor, Accelerometer, Light and Proximity Sensor.
- Connectivity: WiFi, hotspot, Bluetooth 4.2, A-GPS, GLONASS, FM Radio, 3.5mm audio jack and micro USB 2.0, USB On-The-Go.
- Colour: Black, Dynamic Black.
- Dimension: 6.15 x 2.98 x 0.33 inches.
- Weight: 175 g.
- 4230 mAh Non-removable battery.
- Color OS 6, based on Android 9 (Pie).
Related Post: RealMe 3 Launched with Helio P70, Priced at Rs 8,999
It won’t be an easy run for Realme to compete with the Note 7 yet, RealMe may promote the efficiency of the MediaTek Helio P70 processor powering the Realme 3 but Indian market still has a soft corner for Snapdragon processors.
The RealMe 3 has missed or compromised a very important feature that is the display or screen. It has a 720 x 1520 pixels HD+ display but Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 has full HD+ display/screen with a resolution of 1080×2340 pixels.
In my opinion, it’s very important for any smartphone to have a very good quality display because the display is a part of SmartPhone with which the user interacts the most. Using an HD display panel may reduce the battery consumption and you may get a few extra hours of backup but I don’t think this should be the reason for skipping the full HD panel on a mobile phone which has a massive battery like 4230 mAh.
USB Type C and Quick Charge are not rare features anymore. In fact, most of the recently launched mobile phones are coming with these features which are not there on Realme 3. However, Redmi Note 7 has USB Type C and Quick Charge 4. Type C is necessary for the connectivity and compatibility when you are planning to use your phone for at least one hour or more.
Having such high power battery on your phone is good as long as it’s not making your phone too bulky or heavy but then there is a charging time issue which can be addressed only by Quick Charge or Fast Charge because nowadays no one would like to keep their phone plugged-in for 2-3 hours.
The price of Realme 3 is ₹8,999 for 3GB RAM and 32GB storage and ₹10,999 for 4GB RAM and 64 GB storage whereas, Redmi Note 7 is slightly more expensive 3GB RAM and 32GB storage variant of Redmi Note 7 will cost you ₹9,999/- and the variant with 4 GB RAM and 64 GB storage will cost you ₹11,999. As you can see, Redmi Note 7 costs just ₹1,000 extra for each variant which is worth consideration given its specs and features.
Pros and Cons of Redmi Note 7 Pro and RealMe 3:
Realme 3 – Pros:
- Camera and Nightscape mode
- Hardware performance
- 3.5 mm Audio Jack
- Dedicated memory card slot
- Screen Protector and Back Cover included
- Easily available to buy
- Price Tags
Realme 3 – Cons:
- Display – No Full HD Display
- No USB Type C
- Corning Glass 3
- No Quick Charge
Redmi Note 7 – Pros:
- Software and Hardware performance
- 3.5 mm Audio Jack
- Display – Full HD+
- Gorilla Glass 5
- Type C
- Quick Charge 4
- MIUI 10
- Price Tags
Redmi Note 7 – Cons:
- No dedicated memory card slot
- Always out of stock
People may have different choices and opinions but if I have to buy one of these budget mobile phones then I will undoubtedly go for the Redmi Note 7. Although it depends upon one’s budget and preferences, I would recommend getting the variant with 4 GB RAM and 64 GB storage for either of these devices; and, if you can stretch your budget a bit then you could also get the Redmi Note 7 Pro or wait for the Realme 3 Pro announcements.
Buy RealMe 3 (3GB RAM + 32 GB Storage) – Flipkart
Buy RealMe 3 (4GB RAM + 64GB Storage) – Flipkart
Buy Redmi Note 7 (3GB RAM + 32GB Storage) – Flipkart
Buy Redmi Note 7 (4GB RAM+ 64GB Storage) – Flipkart