The best way for making partition is through PRTEDAGIC/GParted an open source application which can be either work from live CD or just through a pen drive, which have an inbuilt Linux OS and through which u can create partition in universally adopted method…!!
This application gives option to make primary, extended and logical partition whereas Windows 7 only giving option for making logical partition…
A hard disk can be divided in three primaries and only one extended and many logical drive…!!
Primary partition is used for install operating system and some operating system can only install in primary partition.
I’ll describe these three partition type and how could it made…!!
First of all i would like to mention some positive and very interesting feature of Gparted/Partedmagic…!!
0. It does not harm installed operating system until you made any major mistake or until you mess with OS partition.
1. It has an inbuilt small operating system based on Linux.
2. It contain all basic tools like notepad, calculator etc.
3. It can run directly from live CD or pen drive.
4. The parted magic follows the universal partition method.
5. Many more feature.
As i earlier mention that primary partition used to install Operating System, a primary partition contains one file system in DOS and earlier version of Microsoft windows systems, the system partition was required to be the first partition. More recent Windows operating systems (Win7, XP, etc.) can be located on any partition, but the boot files (bootmgr, ntldr, etc.) must be on a primary partition. However, other factors, such as a PC’s BIOS may also impart specific requirements as to which partition must contain the primary OS.
A hard disk may contain only one extended partition; the extended partition can be subdivided into multiple logical partitions. In DOS/Windows systems, each logical partition may then be assigned an additional drive letter.
A logical partition is a a partition that has been created inside of an extended partition. It is also a partition which is a logically independent section of a hard disk drive (HDD). The sizes of the logical partitions are described at the beginning of the extended partition, not in the MBR. The logical partitions do not need to fill the entire extended partition; that is, empty space can be retained in the extended partition that can be carved up into additional logical partitions in the future if desired.
For more reference about primary partition follow the wikipedia.org.
Now few steps
1. Insert bootable usb drive or CD/DVD and restart the system.
2. Select boot option either removal devices or CD/DVD .
3. Wait for load the application.
4. Select the option default setting (run from RAM).
5. After starting application you will see a home screen like Linux(KDE) home screen.
6. Open partition editor.
7. Click on your hard disk and re-size/also re-size by scrolling resize arrow key.
>>> Enter Size for partition and click on Resize/Move Button.
8. Right Click on Unallocated Partition.
>>>>click on new
>> select partition type(primary/extended/logical)
>> select drive type (NTFS).
9. After selecting partition type and drive type click on add.
10. Click on apply button from toolbar.
>> a. If you don’t have any OS installed on your system then make a primary partition for OS whatever size you want.
NOTE –> If system already installed an Operating system then you must restart system and let the operating system know what happening with the HD after making any changes on HD at-least few times when each primary partition made and after making extended partition.(Important)
>> In all branded system the manufacturer already made a primary partition for BIOS,Backup and some basic purpose for their company’s contents.
>>>b. Then create one another primary partition and then make an Extended Partition from 2nd primary partition.
>>>c. then create logical partition as your need
You can download this application from official website of www.partedmagic.com(Its free)